Wirringa Baiya staff regularly attend Court as a support person. We participate in the Women’s Family Law Support Service (WFLSS) and the Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Scheme (WDVCAS) as seconded workers. Going to Court can be an unfamiliar and upsetting experience for anyone. Our role is to provide support and assistance to women attending Court.
What can we do for you?
- We can take you to the Duty Solicitor.
- We can sit with you while you wait for your matter to be called.
- We can sit in the Courtroom with you during your matter and talk to you after about what happened.
- We can provide information and referrals to other services.
- If you’re an Aboriginal woman and your matter falls into one of the areas of law we work in, we may be able to provide you with legal advice.
Sometimes it just helps to know someone is there for you.
Which Courts do we attend?
Staff from Wirringa Baiya attend different Courts in Sydney, including:
- The Family Law Court
- The Federal Circuit Court
- Waverly Local Court
- The Downing Centre
- Newtown Local Court.